1 the person who plays that position on a football team; "the right tackle is a straight A student"
2 gear consisting of ropes etc. supporting a ship's masts and sails [syn: rigging]
4 a position on the line of scrimmage; "it takes a big man to play tackle"
5 (American football) grasping an opposing player with the intention of stopping by throwing to the ground
3 seize and throw down an opponent player, who usually carries the ball
- Rhymes: -ækəl
- sports countable A play where a player attempts to take control over the ball from an opponent, as in rugby or football.
- fb countable A play where a defender brings the ball carrier to the ground.
- Any instance in which one person forces another to the ground.
- In the context of "fishing|uncountable": Equipment (rod, reel, line, lure, etc.) used when angling.
- uncountable informal By extension, any
piece of equipment, particularly gadgetry.
- 2004 June 24–30, "Jeff Gordon Never Gets Tired Of Seeing Face
On Cheap Plastic Crap", The Onion,
available in Embedded in America, ISBN 1400054567, page 193,
- ... an illuminated license-plate frame bearing his likeness, signature, and yellow number 24. "That there's a real nice piece of tackle. ..."
- 2004 June 24–30, "Jeff Gordon Never Gets Tired Of Seeing Face On Cheap Plastic Crap", The Onion, available in Embedded in America, ISBN 1400054567, page 193,
- fb uncountable The offensive positions between each guard and end, offensive tackle.
- fb countable A person playing that position.
- fb uncountable The defensive positions between two ends, defensive tackle.
- fb countable A person playing that position.
- A system of ropes and blocks used to increase the force applied to the free end of the rope.
- In the context of "pokemon": A pokemon attack.
attempt to take control over the ball
system of ropes and blocks
- Finnish: talja
to face or deal with attempting to overcome or fight down
Tackle may refer to:
- In football:
- Tackle (football move), a play in various forms of football
- Offensive tackle, a position in American football
- Defensive tackle, a position in American football
- Dump tackle, forceful move in rugby of picking up an opposing player and throwing him to the ground
- Tackleball, a slang term for American football
- Block and tackle, a system of two or more pulleys with a rope or cable threaded between them, usually used to lift or pull heavy loads
- Fishing tackle, the gear or equipment used when fishing
- Electro-Wave Human Tackle, a character from Kamen Rider Stronger.
tackle in French: Tacle
accept, accouterments, amateur athlete, apparatus, appliances, appointments, approach, appurtenances, archer, armament, assume, athlete, attack, attempt, attend to, back band, backstrap, bag and baggage, baggage, ballplayer, baseballer, baseman, batter, battery, bearing rein, bellyband, bit, blinders, blinds, block, blocking back, bowman, breeching, bridle, buckle to, caparison, carry on, cat, catcher, cavesson, center, checkrein, cheekpiece, chinband, cinch, clobber, coach, collar, competitor, conduct, confront, consume, conveniences, cordage, cording, crab, crane, crank, crank in, cricketer, crownband, crupper, curb, deck tackle, defensive lineman, demolish, derrick, destroy, devour, differential tackle, dive into, do, draw in, draw taut, duffel, dunnage, embark in, embark upon, employ, end, endeavor, engage in, enter on, enter upon, equipage, equipment, erector, exercise, face, face up to, facilities, facility, fall, fall into, fall to, fall upon, fittings, fixtures, follow, footballer, forklift, furnishings, furniture, gag swivel, games-player, gamester, gantry crane, gear, get busy, get cracking, get going, get under way, get with it, girth, give a fling, give a go, give a try, give a whirl, go about, go at, go in for, go into, go to it, go upon, grapple with, guard, habiliments, hackamore, halter, hames, hametugs, harness, have at, headgear, headstall, hip straps, hoist, hop to it, hydraulic tailgate, impedimenta, infielder, installations, jack, jackscrew, jaquima, jerk line, jigger, jock, jump to it, jumper, kit, launch forth, launch into, lay about, lever, lift, lifter, light into, lineman, lines, luff, luggage, machinery, make a try, martingale, materiel, move into, munition, munitions, noseband, offensive lineman, outfield, outfielder, outfit, paraphernalia, pitch in, pitch into, plant, player, plumbing, plunge into, pole strap, poloist, practice, proceed to, professional athlete, prosecute, pugilist, pull in, pulley, purchase, pursue, quarterback, racer, reel, reel in, reins, ribbons, rig, rigging, ropework, roping, runner, running rigging, saddle, sail into, service, serving, set about, set at, set forward, set going, set to, set to work, shaft tug, sheave, side check, skater, snaffle, specialize in, sport, sportsman, stand up to, standing rigging, start in, stock-in-trade, surcingle, tack, tackling, tailback, take on, take to, take up, tauten, things, tighten, tools, toxophilite, trappings, traps, trim, tug, turn to, undertake, use, utensils, venture upon, wade into, wage, whipping, winch, wind in, windlass, wingback, winker braces, work at, wrestler, yoke